Former Congress MLA for Halqa Qila Raipur, Ludhiana, Punjab. Constituency delimitation brought end to constituency. Stood unsuccessfully for Dakha constituency in 2012 Assembly elections. Highly active and pro-active politician, demonstrating commitment as sitting MLA and otherwise to rural upliftment, social change and development. Known for decisive actions.
Former British NRI, returned to India in 2006 to contest Qila Raipur seat for Congress. Won former Akali stronghold by substantial margin.Had migrated to the UK at the age of 2. Studied medicine at Oxford University. Then pursued a business career. Has business interests in Punjab. A vocal MLA who has consistently challenged the current Akali-BJP administration in Punjab. NRI coordinator for Congress campaign in Punjab.
Built a chain of hotels in UK before moving to e-learning.
1995 to date: Promoter and owner of Hotel Park Plaza Hotel, Punjab’s first 5 star hotel at Ludhiana.
Oxford University, St Anne’s College. Studied medicine (1982-85).
Guy’s Hospital, London (1985-88). Clinics.11 O levels, 3 A/S levels and 3 A levels from UK state sector schooling and 2 years Bishop Cotton School, Shimla, India.
- First former NRI elected.
- First Congress candidate to ever win the Qila Raipur constituency.
- Won by a majority of 11,000 votes.
- Increased Congress votes from 31,000 to 56,000
- Organiser of Manish Tewari MPs campaign for Congress in the Qila Raipur Area in May 2009 Parliamentary elections. Hosted Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh’s campaign closing event at Hotel Park Plaza in Ludhiana.
- Organiser of the Congress Party’s campaign in Qila Raipur area during May 2004 parliamentary elections.
- Organiser of the 2nd Anniversary of Punjab Congress Government February 2004 activities.
- Family invited to contest Punjab Assembly elections in 2002. Jassi’s mother, Bibi Gurdial Kaur Khangura became candidate as neither Jassi nor his father had Indian citizenship at that time.
- Key organizer and campaigner for assembly campaign for Bibi Gurdial Kaur Kangura in 2002.
Jan 2002 to date: active worker in Halqa Qila Raipur and villages in new Dakha constituency after delimitation of constituency boundaries
Organiser of annual Chhappar Mela (Congress section) each September from 2002-2010 inclusive
Developed and runs website www.jassikhangura.com with full updates on all halqa activities for NRIs and locals.
Running NRI outreach campaign to lobby for better support for Punjab’s NRI community Leader in using social networking as a tool to engage with supporters and constituents.
Previously active in Indian Overseas Congress (UK). Hosted many Congress party dignitaries in London.
Close follower of the Indian political scene from UK.
As former UK citizen was active member of Labour Party where father was a Councillor of London Borough of Hounslow for 12 years from 1986.
Narrowly lost UK Labour Party nomination for Feltham & Heston Parliamentary constituency in 1991.
Poverty alleviation through social entrepreneurship and Self Help Groups
Technology to improve education and communication
Literacy and language skills
Justice for Non Resident Indians
Active supporter of Arsenal Football Club
President, Punjab Soft Tennis Association (PSTA)Walking, Reading
Equitable wealth distribution
Global health threatsClimate change